Best Host - Cultural or Historic Series

Congratulations to Chef Walter Staib for receiving his fourth Emmy Award!

Ash Lawn-Highland

Our latest journey brought us to the homestead of James Monroe, the fifth President of the United States!

James Madison's Montpelier

Learn about the feast Chef Staib created during our visit to Montpelier!

A Taste of History

Cooking in historic Pomona Hall!

Ash Lawn-Highland

Ash Lawn-Highland

Ash Lawn-Highland is an historic house museum, 535-acre working farm, and performing arts site in Albemarle County, Virginia. President James Monroe and his wife, Elizabeth Kortright Monroe of New York, owned Ash Lawn-Highland from 1793 to 1826 and made it their official residence from 1799 to 1823. After the Monroes’ death, the name of their farm was changed from “Highland” to “Ash Lawn”; today both names are used.
Ash Lawn-Highland was opened for public visitation in 1931 by philanthropist Jay Winston and Helen Lambert Johns. Upon his death in late 1974, Johns bequeathed Ash Lawn-Highland to the College of William and Mary, alma mater of James Monroe. Accepting the Johns bequest “to operate this property as a historic shrine for the education of the general public,” the College initiated new programs in restoration and interpretation at Ash Lawn-Highland.
The plantation has been continuously used as a residence since the Monroes moved here in 1799. Throughout the year, Ash Lawn-Highland is open to visitors to share James Monroe’s “place of comfort and hospitality.” Visitors are invited to fly kites in the spring, to enjoy the Summer Festival of children’s shows, to hear traditional music and opera in the Boxwood Gardens, and to cut their own Christmas trees.
The dining room of James Monroe
James Monroe's Farm
Farmstead
The fire is ready

Image Gallery